Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:19:15 -0500
From:         Ry <rylincoln@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: weekend work
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

Interesting and sounds like a good argument against using a lower rated thermostat. That being said, I would be curious about the physical process the thermostat goes through as it's rated temperature is reached. I read that thermostats in automobiles work by a calibrated wax filled chamber, when cool the wax is solid and when it heats up it becomes liquid.

So I thought maybe this would happen all at once. So i grabbed my 87C rated thermostat and put it in a pot of water. The wax is turning to liquid, expanding due to heat and slowly opening. This would lead me to believe it does more regulation than just closing off flow to a cold engine until the engine warms up then opening and staying open. The thermostat is going to vary in "openness" as temperature fluctuates. Thus I would say that having a 80C rated thermostat could effectively keep your engine cooler. I'm NOT saying that's good for the engine, just saying, that's my theory based on my observation.

peace,

-Ry http://www.google.com/profiles/rylincoln