Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:11:10 -0800
From:         Pat Sloan <pmsloan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Engine Interrupted. Any Ideas, Please?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

My engine is a 1.8 87 US Jetta model also. Not sure about electronics vs distributer, but will check. Even I can recognize a distributor if its there. I will keep your coil/points/distributer ideas in mind when I see the new mechanic. Thnx, Pat

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: March 14, 2010 4:26 PM To: Pat Sloan; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Engine Interrupted. Any Ideas, Please?

Is it CIS type fuel injection ? I believe in that year it is. My 87 jetta ( US model ) 1.8 16 valve engine has CIS-E fuel injection.

if your problem it is fuel injection related ....those are trickier to fix sometimes. I thnk a lot of techs avoid that system. I havn't got mine running in my vanagon yet, and I may run it on Digifant instead of CIS.

Check everywhere for air leaks ... cracked air intake boot , vacuum hoses etc.

if it has points ignition instead of pure electronic ... look into the points and the distrubutor itself carefully. I had one...customer's van . and it would just 'shut off' ... that was a 1.8 8 vavle engine with CIS and a points distributor. Watching it idle it would just 'shut off' , like someone turned off the key.

It occured to me that it could be a bad coil - and it was. New coil fixed that one. it also had slightly pitted points, and a bit much side shaft play in the distributor shaft.

I would retro fit electrnoic igntion to any points distributor car always... much stronger and better igntion, It can just 'wake up' a car that has points for igntion -converting to electronic igntion.

Igntion switches of vanagons are always suspect- an underbuilt part that gets many years service on it, and can cause weird problems.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Sloan" <pmsloan@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:14 PM Subject: Engine Interrupted. Any Ideas, Please?