Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2010 00:56:16 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cause of the white corrosion deposit around a battery?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

It's corrosion and should only be on the positive terminal.

Sometimes you have a leaky seal around a post but this is rare these days. More often the corrosion is because the + side of the battery attracts oxygen ions from the air and the oxygen interacts with the metal, causing the corrosion.

There are a lot of "fixes" you can buy but the best one is to put a drop of oil on the terminal every time you check your oil. The oil will spread out into a thin film & will protect the terminal from corrosion.

Some people put grease on the terminals. Grease will also work but you need to make sure to cover the entire terminal, even the bottom edge of the clamp. If you don't then any exposed metal will corrode.

Tom www.kegkits.com