Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:01:02 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cause of the white corrosion deposit around a battery?
Comments: To: Ry <rylincoln@GMAIL.COM>

thats what baking soda makes, when mixed with water. The baking soda is likely cheaper than a commercial sparkling water. DMc

---- Ry <rylincoln@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > And for cleaning off the corrosion I've used just carbonated water aka soda > water aka sparkling water etc.. works well in my experiences. > > -Ry > > > On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Janne Ruohomäki > <janne.ruohomaki@gmail.com>wrote: > > > On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net> wrote: > > > Some people put grease on the terminals. Grease will also work but you > > need > > > to make sure to cover the entire terminal, even the bottom edge of the > > > clamp. If you don't then any exposed metal will corrode. > > > > If You use grease, dont overdo it and make sure You really have good > > contact. Too much grease AND a bad contact might be fire hazard in a > > connection on fat wire with lots of amps going through. I use grease > > myself in almost all electrical contacts in my van (and every other > > vehicle), but I always feel a little voice in my head asking me "what > > if this heats up?". I have seen melted battery connectors and the way > > the lead is deformed on those means that the amount of heat has been > > very high and there have been several hot spots where temperature has > > exceeded melting point of lead by a great margin. > > > > I think there are special greases for this that have very high flash > > point temperatures (autoignition temperatures don't count if there's a > > spark). Generally I put only the best stuff in my van, but here I > > have been using just normal synthetic spray grease. Which by the way > > probably contains some quite volatile components also so that it might > > be quite flammable for a while after being squirted from the can. > >