Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:12:48 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: deep cycle: best place to put? best size?
Comments: To: Sheilah Rogers <sheilah@sheilah.org>

RE:Installing 2nd Battery

> > option one: trying to decide whether i want to put it under the driver's > side seat. > *You will have a lot of trouble finding a true deep cycle battery that will fit there. Over the years there has only been one source crop up, in California, and right now I'll be darned if I can find my reference to it in my personal archives or bookmarks. But many use just a stock battery there and replace when it get's worn out. *

> > pro: it's out of the way, easier to wire up. > con: it's a smaller battery (that i don't have yet) and i'm not sure how > much power that would really offer (eg: camping for 3 days with radio and > possibly a midnite movie, lights, etc) > > option two: take existing larger deep cycle and move it to underneath the > backseats. >

*BTDT in my '90 Westy when I went to a 12v refrigerator. Not to complicated. I drilled holes in the bottom of the cabinets and ran heavy cables behind the cabinets and back up to the aux battery compartment under the drivers seat and connected into the wiring already there from the aux battery that was previously installed. *

> > con: takes up precious space. wiring will include going under van and is a > bit more complicated. > pro: i have that large battery already and it will power things longer than > a smaller deep cycle will. > > questions: > > 1/ has battery technology improved to the point that a smaller deep cycle > is better now than it was...say... 10 years ago? >

*Not really. But there are more of the sealed lead acid batteries on the market now, usually AGM types.*

> > 2/ does anyone use their deep cycle for extended 3+ days powering lights > (and some extras they've installed), a movie (or two), and stereo and felt > that the smaller deep cycle was plenty adequate? >

*Unless you change some wiring in the process your radio and interior lights will STILL be wired to the starting battery. If there is already an aux battery installed under the drivers seat that may have been done. But check that out before three days of heavy use in the boonies. *

> > 3/ other issues? > > 4/ i'll probably have installed a second car lighter in the back so that > i'll have a closer place to hook things in for power. apparently the walls > back there are thicker than the install packet provides for (to ... uhm, i > think.. ground it or something.) so has anyone found the "perfect location" > for their second lighter install?

*I've installed a multiple outlet 12v (cigar lighter type) on the cabinet wall behind the drivers seat. Also installed there is a 400W inverter and a power strip for 110v AC for when I have shore power. That location puts ALL wires into that corner of the living area when camped and keeps them out of the way, nothing to trip over. BTW, the 110v AC power strip is attached with good double backed tape and the cord run through the gap at the back of the sink and plugged into the spare 110v AC outlet down in the cabinet under the sink, the one that the refigerator is plugged into. A two minute install that gives me 110v AC in an out of the way location. *