Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:44:00 +0000
From:         Matthew Christensen <christensen12@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: bad shock?tire ovals

OK- Stupid question just got some 195 14s from Bus Depot had them spun out and now I'm riding on rails-I WISH I GOT THEM BEFORE 3K PLUS OF ROAD TRIP-BLISSIN IN NJ ----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Christensen" <christensen12@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, March 5, 2010 7:59:30 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern Subject: bad shock?tire ovals

Hello List, I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer. I replaced my old shocks with bilsteens HD from ebay as my old shocks were bottoming out, as I drove my large father as a passenger in the front seat. I replaced the stock shocks and took a 3,000 mile drive to and around FLA,. When I was returning I noticed the faster I went the more vibration I would get at 65 MPH +. So I spent the finale 4 or 5 hours of the trip driving at 50 MPH, and it seemed to work. After I got home, I jacked up the front right  tire, spun it, and it was mildly ovaled. I replaced with the back rear tire and put my spare on the back. It  seemed to fix the problem, but it feels weird driving. Slight vibrations and pulls to the right. Thanks Matt NJ

My quesitions are:Can or will a shock oval a tire?

                         How can you tell if a shock is bad?

                         Would alignment cause this problem?

91 2.5 Vanaroo Westy-Baloo

88 2.1 Vanagon Westy-Arlo