Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:49:06 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Syncro All-Terrain Tires: 14" vs 15" ?

> I should clarify: While I have both a > set of 14" and 15" wheels, the set I don't use will likely go on > another van or be sold. So I'd like to stick to one set of > tires/wheels for my Syncro. Since this is my dedicated travel-mobile, > and any road trip might (if I'm lucky) entail off-highway driving, > tires should ideally serve dual purpose. > I went from 14" rims to 15" about 1.5 years ago. On the 14" I had run Michelin Agilis and Hankooks--both 185R14. Plus another tire on the van when I bought it. It is a Westy Syncro. I never liked to go about about 60-65 in it. It just didn't feel good to me.

On the 15" rims I put Nokian Hakka Cs--205/65-15s. This is the single best change/upgrade I have made! I was on I-10 in west Texas last week--80 mph speed limit and a headwind. I was cruising at 80*, passing the semis, and it was rock solid.

I went with 205/65-15s because the diameter is exactly the same at the 185R14s. I didn't want to change my gearing or speeds per rpm or the low range characteristics.

The tire is directional and I bought six. It has been very good to me on rough roads and sandy ones. It seemed to gum up some on the one very muddy road I drove but I got out. In general, on back/rough roads it is far superior to the narrow 185R14s. It is about 1" wider, plus the agressive tread. As I recall, they cost $132 mounted and balanced here in Boulder.

* with a subie 2.5 engine. ;-)

Richard