Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:56:37 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: .................... and vanagons
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

My Sprinter has a tiptronic and a Bus feind teased me the day I bought it 'cause it didn't have a real stick. I suppose I might like the tip in a smaller van but Moby is 600cf inside and 25' long so it's still like navigating a ship and I sure my me Westy and its stick!

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> I will say that a 'good' automatic is a joy to drive. > More than a 3 speed slush box like vanagons have. > I am way satisfied with the 4 speed auto in my turbo volvo sedan, with > electric button shifting in and out of overdrive top gear. > > my personal vanagon for a while was an automatic trans 85 Weekender. > It was 'ok' ......worst thing was it drank a lot of fuel. 16.5 mpg on the > highway. > Otherwise pretty nice. > > my current personal van is a 4 speed... > while one has to shift it .. > advantages are better fuel economy, you can push start it if you have to > ( did that a few times recently when an IMI gear reduction starter deciced > not to cooperate ) ....and more precise control on slippery surfaces, > wieghs > less too. > > and one of these days .........I have a plan to make a button controlled > vaccum operated clutch release sysem, using VW parts.... > starting out from a stop will be normal, with a clutch pedal, but once > moving, clutch release is by button on the shifter - and just coordiante > throttle and engine rpm. > > I also have a plan for an 'automatic stick shift' trans....there are two in > rear engine german cars that can work. > The 3 speed from about a 69 bug, and better, a 4 speed from a 69 or 70 > Porshce 911. > Those are a normal manual gear box, and there are two 'clutches sort of' > ...... > one is a conventional clutch operated by a large vacuum servo ( got that > part already ) , and in addition to that clutch is a torque converter. > The way it works is ....if you are 'touching' the shift lever ... > a micro switch in the shifter switches a vaccum valve ( got that part too ) > that disengaes the conventional clutch. Then you put it in first gear. > Then you remvoe your hand from the shifter, it goes 'clunk' being in gear, > but it doesn't move yet, if your foot is on the brake ... > due to the torque converter. > Release the brake, give it a little gas ....and away you go. > when it's time to hit second, you just grab the shifter lever, pull it into > 2nd, and let go. > and so on. > Gives you a manual transission with no clutch pedal. > It's not a lock-up torque converter so there is probably always some > power/effeciency loss there......but it is an early version of a clutch > pedal-less manual trans. > Somebody is gonna make a padel shifter vanagon one of these days too. > Tiptronic. > Mabye someone already has ! > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Annie" <lsandrsn@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 5:00 PM > Subject: Re: .................... and vanagons > > > I prefer a stick shift but due to a back injury that causes my legs, and >> especially my left leg, to fall asleep, I no longer drive one and now have >> an automatic. >> >> ~Annie >> >> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Donna Skarloken >> <dskarloken@gmail.com>wrote: >> >> As middle age descends upon me, I find in traffic I do prefer an >>> automatic. >>> But my commute car is a stick shift (as of course is the Syncro) so I >>> just >>> deal with it. >>> >>> Happy Friday, >>> Donna, Syncro 1987 >>> >>> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Mike South <msouth@gmail.com> wrote: >>> >>> > On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Robert Fisher >>> > <garciasghostvw@gmail.com >>> > >wrote: >>> > >>> > > --snip-- >>> > > I can't imagine owning an auto tx in a Vanagon >>> > > --snip-- >>> > > >>> > > Why not? >>> > > >>> > >>> > Love of adventure--the thrill of waiting for that 3-4 slider to >>> > disintegrate, etc. >>> > >>> > :) >>> > >>> > mike >>> > >>> > > >>> > > Cya, >>> > > Robert >>> > > >>> > >>> >>>

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westfalia (USS Tinosa) '86 Vanagon/Westfalia Wannabe (SaVannah) Nunquam Pendite Divendium