Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:40:18 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Big Bend (Texas) trip report & photos

We had to try the new subie 2.5 engine transplant on a trip, so we headed to Big Bend Nat'l Park, Texas--about 950 miles from Boulder. It sure was nice to cruise at 75. That cut about 3 hours off the driving time over two days.

I got to cruise a 30 mile section of I-10, which Texas has posted at 80--and I cruised at 80. I've already forgotten the 2.1.... ;-)

Photos: http://jones.colorado.edu/BB2010

This year the flowers won't do too much in Big Bend. Not enough winter showers plus it has been very cold. The yuccas were the only thing blooming. Some cactus had started to bud. The cottonwoods along the Rio Grande were out but not the mesquite and other trees.

I learned enough about Big Bend Ranch State Park to the W of BB Nat'l Park to know it would be a great place for a convoy of Syncros to explore. Miles of 4x4 old ranch roads, lots of primitive camping spots designated, etc, etc. Plus hiking and mtn biking. Maybe in the fall....

Richard