Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:11:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trans. Install: Input shaft & clutch splines
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

It's not together yet ?

some tricks and pitfalls to avoid -

one, if using diesel vanagon flywheel on an inline four engine in a vanagon with DK trans or input shaft .. the DK shaft has to be shortened about 12mm from stock.........like from it was when used with a Type IV air-cooled engine. If you have a full lenght DK input shaft you're in a whole lotta trouble.

Always put the trans in any gear, and put the parking brake on ... so as you are conencting engine and trans you can rotate the crank pulley a little bit to line up splines.

I have seen where after a lot of horsing around and not getting the splines to engage ....the splines of the clutch disc got damaged a little....so they could never engage. Solution was to pull engine and trans back apart, repair those splines with a tiny file. So make sure that doesn't happen.

and you kinda gotta have a plastic dummy input shaft ( comes with a clutch kit, I have several left over ones I'd sell ) or a real input shaft for a clutch alignement tool. If you just try to eyeball it ...you can ... but that's tricky. If I had just eye-balled the centering of the disc in the pressure plate/flywheel , I'd be extra careful about forcing it.

You probably have it together by now anyway I bet ! Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:58 AM Subject: Re: Trans. Install: Input shaft & clutch splines