Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:41:26 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about caliper, was  Replacing front brake pads
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

hi, yes, that rotor looks quite bad all right.

re the caliper ... See how easily the pistons push back into the caliper. If one piston is stuck or very, very hard to push back in ...( or both pistons ) a new rebuilt caliper is on order. If wishing to keep cost down - good used caliper is an option, of which I have many.

a trick... ( warning, for creative back yard types only - all others install high quality rebuilt brand new calipers and pads )

for sticky caliper pistons , on any car. You 'exercise' the pistons. One piston at a time ( keep a pad in the other piston so it won't move or pop out. ) have someone push the brake pedal down gently while you watch the piston move out some. After it moves a short way, like 1/4 inch .. have them let go fo the brake pedal... you carefully lever the piston back in with a large bar or lever. Do that like 20 times ...moving piston back and forth. - best down with fresh brake fluid in the caliper. Full travel is aobut 3/8 of an inch, up to a half inch, but don't push it too far distance travel-wise.

*always* ...always, always change brake fluid to any brake you work on. When pushing the piston back in the first time .. it's best to have a hose on the bleed valve and valve open .. so the old crudy BF isn't pushed back into the system, but is ejected overbaord instead.

not many people exercise their brake caliper pistons though ! but it can help some if you don't mind spending time rather than money , and it it's not too badly stuck yet.

New rebuilt caliper is the proper repair of course. hey ..you might need this trick to get home from mexico sometime.

scott turbovans

----- Original Message ----- From: "B Feddish" <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2010 1:25 PM Subject: Question about caliper, was Replacing front brake pads