Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:50:04 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trans. Install: Input shaft & clutch splines
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com>

On 3/20/10, Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com> wrote: > > On Mar 20, 2010, at 1:46 PM, neil n wrote: > >> >> When installing the transmission, is it obvious if input shaft/clutch >> splines aren't lining up? Is it possible the transmission can be >> "forced" in even if splines misaligned? >> >> I'm not totally unfamiliar with VW transaxle remove/install, but >> tonight, it was a royal PAIN. (don't ask) Anyhow, when things finally >> lined up, and enough thread was showing on lower studs, I used lower >> nuts, then uppers, to bring the transmission and engine together. It >> all "felt" ok while doing this, but because I had to use the nuts, I'm >> asking the above. FWIW, I did jockey the crank back/forth to help make >> sure splines lined up. > > Well..... I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the last > time I used the nuts to mate a reluctant trans to the motor I ended up > replacing the gearbox the following summer.. The reluctance was due > to the pilot shaft bearing being turned to little bitty pieces. A > year and about 5,000 miles later the input shaft seal failed. That's > when I found the deeply scored input shaft. The good news was that I > just happened to have a 'spare' gearbox and motor waiting to go in so > down time was minimal. But without waiting spares it would have been a > real 'Aw s....' > > I don't think that I'll "pull" them together again. Start your search > for an input shaft or gearbox just in case. > > Jim

Thanks much Jim.

This is a tranny swap (input shaft too as it's shorter for Jetta engine) so a spare is no issue. Just added time, blood, sweat and cussing.

Hopefully I haven't mashed the PB. Didn't think of that scenario. That would be a shame as I gather one other item that can suffer is the oil sling on clutch housing.

Neil. -- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines