Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Mar 2010 19:27:43 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      VW Routan impressions

We just returned from a 2 week trip to SoCal, where we rented a VW Routan (not planned, it was a free upgrade from a Malibu/Altima I had booked, but worked great since my parents were also joining us for a few days). Here are my impressions of this vehicle (yes, I'm well aware that there is very little that is VW about it):

First impressions were pretty good - it drove much like other Chrylser vans I've driven, although the suspension was noticeably stiffer, and steering seemed to provide a bit more feedback, with nice variable assist, although the ratio was quite slow (as I found out during an emergency lane change at 65 in LA). Seats were comfortable, and overall the interior was decent, with plenty of space (it was a base model without leather). I found rear visibilty was poor, and side mirrors too small for such a large vehicle. The 6 speed auto shifted cleanly, but often held the revs for no apparent reason under light acceleration. Playing with the simulated tiptronic feature soon lost appeal, as it rarely shifted when told to do so, more like 2-4 seconds later. The engine was quite rough at idle, possibly due to poor maintenance, as the oil looked like it had never been changed. The rotors were badly warped, but seemed to have reasonable stopping power, although a few stops from 70mph were less than comfortable in terms of stability. The power windows and locks were both problematic - both front window switches were flaky, sometimes going up instead of down, and often stopping part way up or down. Turning radius was terrible - it felt like a full size PU. The engine was also noisier under normal acceleration than I expected, but due to tall gearing was not an issue on the highway - <2000rpm at 75mph. We averaged 19mpg over two weeks, and the return trip from Carlsbad to LAX at 70mpg recorded 24mpg, which seems fairly decent for a heavy vehicle with a low tech V6. The rear stow away seats worked well.

I suppose if I were in the market for such a vehicle, I'd drive the Chrysler to compare, as I can't imagine there is much difference. But this van is much larger than we need on a regular basis, and we'll never part with our Westy... :-)

Shawn '88 TD Westy