Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:16:05 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dash back in place...

Today I finally got the dash together again, after removing it to replace the blower fan which has been seized for several years. Not a pleasant job, but not too difficult, especially with the help of detailed instructions posted from several listees over the years. The heater box had been opened before, likely by the dealer, as the PO had nearly all work done there. The blower looked original, so I assume the reason for previous repair was the heater core, which looks fine still. The box was held together with small self tapping screws on each tab, which worked well. Most of the foam was still in decent shape except for the surfaces of the "flappers", which had turned to dust. Both of the box mounting screws (M6 x philips head) on the inside were seized and snapped on removal, so I had to drill them out and re-tap the holes. Most of the time was spent removing the washer nozzles and cleaning rust behind, applying POR-15 and re-installing. Other than that, no major issues. Oh, I also applied some ashpalt membrane stuff to the inside of the sheet metal for sound deadening.

Any reason not to replace those wierd headless bolts holding the steer column to the dash supports with standard hex bolts?

Lots of dust from many miles of dirt roads, which leads me to wonder if I can come up with some kind of cabin air filter in the airbox opening behind the grille - has anyone tried this? Obviously some kind of material that would tolerate moisture would be needed.

We leave in a few days for an Easter trip to the interior, so it will nice to have a working fan again. :-)