Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:00:21 -0400
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel not getting through? 82 aircooled
Comments: cc: emeraldcityrealty@gmail.com

On 3/23/10, Aimee MacLeod <emeraldcityrealty@gmail.com> wrote: > Just got my first Westy and it wasn't runnning when I picked it up, not my > first Volkswagen but I am no mechanic and now that we have her running we > are trying to work out the kinks. Anyway, it putters like it's not getting > enough fuel while in 2 gear pretty regularly and then the other day (while > in 2nd gear) it jut died, so I pulled off and tried to start it....nothing > on the first and second try, no gas at all....then 3rd try started right > up. Now running like nothing ever happened. My mechanic can't get it to > re-create the problem. Any suggestions or advice, similar experiences > anyone. I don't want to get stranded. >

If this is a fuel starvation issue replacing the fuel filter is always a good place to start. There could be junk in the gas tank that is making it's way into the system. When you pull the old fuel filter out you can check to see how much crud is in there by bumping the intake line onto a white piece of paper/plastic etc. Fuel will run out and also a ton of crap if your tank is crusty or dirty.

How long did the van sit before you started driving it? There could be/have been water in the fuel, and the gas may be stale.

You mention seeing this in 2nd gear. The fuel system/engine shouldn't run differently in any gear but 2nd may be putting the van in a particular rpm or load range that brings out the problem. Do you notice this at high rpm's in 2nd, or while chugging along at low rpms? Is it an abrupt cut-out or a soggy slow-down/bog. One problem that many older fuel injected vw's have is a worn air flow meter. I wouldn't suspect this first but if you notice this problem at the same rpms every time it could indicate that the air flow meter is shorting out at that point.

It wouldn't hurt to check and clean your electrical connectors in the engine compartment and the ones on the fuel pump (under the van near the sliding door). It probably won't have any affect on this problem but a bottle of sea foam may help clean things up a bit in the system too.

Jonathan Poole '83 AC Westy