Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Mar 2010 03:53:38 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Broken CV Bolts
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

Craig, I had 3 loose CV bolts that had backed out of the outer wheel flange but stayed in the CV, and 3 that were still in the outer wheel flange when the CV sheared off of the hub. So, the 3 bolt ends had to be backed out by using needle nose pliers to rotate them, which was done. The CV itself was fine, I just replaced the bolts with the triple-square or 12-point (both names seem to be used). They are harder and tend not to strip as often as the hex head bolts do. I used a head lamp to put that outer CV in ... it's cramped in that trailing arm, ain't it!! ;-)

In a way, you may be lucky if the CV is what broke rather than shearing those bolts off. Easier to not have to go to the trouble of getting those bolt heads out of the outer flange.

After you get that on and tightened, drive the van a couple hundred miles then retighten the bolts. It's impossible to keep from getting grease between the CV face and outer wheel flange face, and that's what tends to keep the bolts from tightening and staying tight completely so retorquing is a good idea.

bob