Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Mar 2010 07:27:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Proper Brake Pedal Feel/Travel?
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

> Mechanic said he felt no air in system, but pedal feels a little > spongy still. Pedal height actually ok. Braking action seems ok. But > if pedal pushed really hard, at bottom of stroke, it stops on > something. But not like when engine off. i.e. rock hard pedal at > bottom of stroke. > > I'm beginning to think the VW mechanic may be wrong. > > Maybe I'll install another MC. I'm almost certain my local supplier > has a German one. > What you feel as "a little spongy" could be your lines "flexing".(expanding under the force of your hydraulics) That is why racecars use SS braided brake hoses, to give a positive feel to the driver when he's 'on the binders' I doubt a Vanagon would ever have the need for that precise brake feel .

Recent modern cars with ABS just leave 'pedal modulation' (and the need for "pedal feel") right out of the picture. With ABS a panic stop or 'edge of traction' driving, everything (how much braking is done by which wheel, etc) depends on the ABS computer. It 'decides' how to distribute braking force to the wheels...the driver just stomps hard on the pedal and hangs on while the vehicle manages braking traction as best as it thinks is possible.

NVC > Modern racing ABS systems are pretty good at controlling cars during performance driving. The corner-entry technique for a newer Porsche factory racecar is to stomp like King Kong on the brakes as you enter the corner and steer a good line. Then the ABS 'drives' by changing braking force from wheel to wheel as the car slides, keeping it from 'swapping ends' like older 911s were famous for doing if the driver EVER touched the brakes while in a corner.

Don Hanson