Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:49:13 -0700
From:         Andrew Martin <campahvan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L Fuel Filters
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

I like the idea of a pre pump filter too BUT...

The one time I've had a fuel pump failure (20+ years of Vanagons) I was compelled to disassemble the old fuel pump just to see its guts.

What I discovered was a relatively large piece of fibrous material lodged in the pump thus preventing it from turning. Considering I hadn't opened the fuel system in the previous 5K miles, I had to assume it was either a piece of foreign matter that had somehow penetrated the pre filter screening (unlikely but possible) or that a piece of the square pre filter screening had come loose (a stretch but what else?).

I changed the square pre filter when I installed the new pump and later cut the filter open to inspect both sides of the filter screening. The inlet side had some small gritty residue but the outlet side was clean. Strange... (cue Twilight Zone music)

I wish I'd tried back flushing the old fuel pump before I had essential destroyed it when I disassembled it. Next time...

Andrew Bainbridge Island WA

On 3/23/10, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com> wrote: > Ok, so I've seen this discussed ehre before - however I wasn't having any > luck finding exactly what I wanted int he archives. > > On the 1.9L engines the fuel filter was the small square plastic filter > located between the fuel tank outlet and the fuel pump - however on the 2.1 > engines the fuel filter is the round canister type located after the fuel > pump. > > To me both of these locations make sense - so tell me is there any benefit > to keeping the plastic filter in it's stock location and also adding the > canister type filter after the fuel pump? > > -- >

Re: some comments in this thread.

I installed the can filter post pump, and removed pre pump filter. (my '81 only had square pre filter)

In my picasaweb pics (musomuso@gmail daht com) there are pics of the retrofit.

The "step up" molded hose between pump and fuel tank shown. Not sure if less $ than VC's offering.

An aside, but no difference in pump noise achieved by doing this. This was the original intent. But... pics should help those with only the square filter.

Frank C says the pre pump filter is a good thing IIRC.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engine s