Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Mar 2010 09:28:53 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake question
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@gmail.com>

I doubt if you'll find these as an "off the shelf" item. Look around on the Google for racing supplies or click BAT for the parts and make some yourself.

Be aware that "urban myth" says SS braided brake lines are BAD on street cars" The reason all these 'Chicken Littles" state is that the inside of SS brake line is made from a teflon compound which they say can work loose..I think not and have used SS lines for street vehicles often. For a vanagon I'd guess you wouldn't get +much+ in braking improvment with SS lines..."Lipstick on a Pig" comes to mind...You are stopping a 4000# + vehicle with tiny brakes so feel is not going to help much, except maybe on ice or wet/slick.

SS lines are more snag and impact resistant, if you do lots of back road driving, and if you want/need new brake lines for your own peace of mind..why not? Don Hanson On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@gmail.com> wrote: