Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:46:47 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: GPS Recommendation
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

I've never been (or tried to be) anywhere I couldn't get by map, and by map I can get a good feel for the terrain I'm traversing. For local navigation in any state, I use DeLorme's. To get across the country, I use Rand McNally. For camping, I use DeLorme's and USGS topo sheets, or Trails Unlimited. In cities, I use Rand McNally if DeLorme's is inadequate (varies by state). I like to have the maps just to study from time to time, as well. I do consult AAA concerning travel routes, but usually deviate from those recommended substantially.

Once in Berkeley, CA, I was with a friend who was navigating with his Garmin. He was directed to drive up one of the walkways with stairs that have street names. Really.

Even if I decided I wanted a GPS for travel, I would still use maps, which are much more fun. I've never seen a GPS that caused me to wonder about the source of the toponyms I encountered, or caused me to peruse sections of terrain just for the hell of it, and eventually to travel over them though I hadn't planned to. Using a GPS, I would never have known of the existence of Dirty Woman Creek, Drunkard's Branch, the twin towns of Frog and Frognot, or Bug Tussle, Texas and Bug Tussle, Oklahoma.

Surely you GPS users also have and use maps. Otherwise, what is life for?

No one has broken into my vehicle to steal my DeLorme's lately.

David

---- B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> wrote: > Pick yourself up a $125-$150 Garmin, you'll be glad you did. I was a die > hard map junky before I gave in but it's great to not have to navigate with > a map when you are travelling around big cities at rush hour.... > > Bryan > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Bill Shawley > Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2010 9:10 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: GPS Recommendation > > It pains me to give in to modern technology being of the type that prides > themselves in their god given navigational skills, BUT I think I'm gonna get > a GPS. I don't know much about them and don't wanna get too engrossed in > the ins and outs. My wife loves the idea and I think the unit will reside > in her car most of the time but I guess it would be nice for trips. > > > > I'm not looking to spend much, we don't really go off road or into the wild, > just something to keep my form depending on my mapquest printouts. > > > > Can anyone recommend any good, inexepensive units? > > > > Wanee festival is only weeks away. > > > > Ryan > > _________________________________________________________________ > Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. > http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/210850553/direct/01/

-- David McNeely