Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:26:21 -0400
From:         Rowan Tipton <uther@DRAGONHOME.ORG>
Subject:      Re: GPS in WESTY and watch out for taking Ferry boats
Comments: To: Charles Nighbor <cnighbor1@COMCAST.NET>

On Mar 28, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Charles Nighbor wrote:

> Once while my daughter was in Seattle Area and using freinds car > with GPS it > said to go this way while she was trying to go north of Seattle on > I-5, turn > here of I-5 take this road nothwest.... > Well it was taking her north stota all right but she would had to > take to > Washington State ferries and wait at least 1/2 hour at each to > board. and > pay over $15 each time. Lucky she called home and asked is this > route OK. of > course we said go back to I-5 and keep going North. were she was on > I-5 at > that moment the GPS route was shorter for a brief time so it changed > directions. Wonderful > Charles

I'm guessing that the GPS was set to find the "shortest route". On many GPS's you have a number of options. Things like shortest route, fastest route, avoid Interstates, avoid gravel roads, etc. I use my laptop as a GPS and also have a number of maps on it. I use the maps a lot but always rely on the GPS for navigation. It shows the interchanges with the signs and the lanes, tells me in advance what lane I need to be in, speaks to me so I don't have to take my eyes off the road, etc.

I am VERY directionally challenged so I was almost alway lost before I got a GPS. I am pretty good with maps (when a group is going somewhere I'm always the one who is chosen to read the map and give directions) but not so good at remembering numerous directions. I got my first GPS after trying to find my daughters new place in LA and getting lost over and over. I would pull over, look at the map (knowing you are somewhere on some street named "washington" is very little help with a map of LA) and try to figure out how to get from where I was to where she lived... start out, make three or four turns and be lost again.

Once I found her place we went out and bought a GPS. Now if i'm lost I have the GPS map a route from wherever I am (and I don't have to know where that is) to wherever I'm going and I don't get lost!

I remain, as always YrLyl&ObdntSrvnt,