Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:03:36 -0400
From:         george jannini <georgejoann@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GPS Recommendation

>> Surely you GPS users also have and use maps. Otherwise, what is life for? <<

Let's get away from thinking about _how_ you want to get from point A to point B for a moment and talk about something a GPS can do for you that doesn't fit on maps- the ability to find multiple points of interest. Millions of them.

Hospitals, auto services, restaurants, shopping, recreation, fuel, highway rest stops, police stations, attractions, banks, etc,all preloaded.

In addition, there are GPS user sites with custom POI files that you can download to your GPS. Need to know where RV dump stations can be found in the province of Quebec? I've got a file for that. Do you prefer restaurants popular with locals over generic fast food? There are files for those, too, and yer GPS unit can be programmed to alert you when you're near those custom POIs. I even downloaded a Westy icon to use in place of the Garmin Arrow.

When I'm in Canada, I use an out of date GPS set to Kilometers while navigating with a dumbed down but more modern Nuvi 750 doing miles, so I don't get more confused than normal. That old box is customizable 6 ways from Sunday, which is a feature that I sorely miss, (I need to know my altitude all the time for some strange reason) but the Nuvi does just about everything else better. And it was a lot cheaper than the smaller, clunkier unit, I might add.

But that Magellan 7" giant screen is sure a temptation... and I love the idea of its having built in AAA Tourbooks...

George