Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:20:30 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Proper Brake Pedal Feel/Travel?

Arriving late to the thread, sorry. Scott mentioned the 2 pistons in the MC. I was thinking about an excessive piston travel condition in the rear brakes. This is common and I agree with the list experts that this is usually the cause of poor pedal feel. I'm not sure which piston in the MC operates the rear circuit, but if there is excess travel back there, that piston is going to have no resistance while the other is already squeezing the front rotors. Could this somehow cause the thud?

Edward

At 01:15 PM 3/25/2010, neil n wrote: >On 3/25/10, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Mechanic said he felt no air in system, but pedal feels a little > >> spongy still. Pedal height actually ok. Braking action seems ok. But > > >> > > What you feel as "a little spongy" could be your lines > > "flexing".(expanding under the force of your hydraulics) That is why > > racecars use SS braided brake hoses, to give a positive feel to the driver > > when he's 'on the binders' I doubt a Vanagon would ever have the need for > > that precise brake feel . > > > > > >Thanks Don. > >Right. Forgot. Mechanic mentioned flex hose "flexing". > >I just made another short video. Engine cold, pushing, you can hear >thud (barely), booster vacuum dissapates, hard pedal. Start engine, >pedal drops a little (normal), you can hear thudding more easily in >last portion. > >youtube: > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6TmvkmAj8Q > >Read more in archives, but still can't tell if I have a failed or >failing seal inside MC causing an internal leak. > > > >Neil. > > > >-- >Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" > >http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > >http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines