Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:45:46 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anza Borrego Desert Wildflowers
Comments: To: James V <tornadored@gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM, James V <tornadored@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@gmail.com> wrote: > > I was hoping to make a detour there on our recent > > Disney trip, but time didn't permit. I can see that it really warrants a > > separate trip. > > The desert doesn't seem to be for everybody. Some love it, and some > aren't so impressed by the seeming lack of variety and wow-factor. The > wildflowers, of course increases the allure - but even that takes a > particular appreciation to really enjoy. It's certainly not the vast > carpets of color that some might imagine. But I enjoyed it there - > particularly the freedom to openly explore by car/bike/foot much of > the park. And, since I'm only a couple hours away, spending a couple > days there is easy and worthwhile. So, perhaps the next time you're > out that way, take a day or two and see how you like it - it's > definitely worth that for sure (just don't go in the summer when it's > 10 million degrees!).

It would certainly be a change from coastal rainforest we're used to, but I like the open feeling and ability to go anywhere. We'll see if we can manage it on a spring trip one of these days.

> > Looks like you had good weather - are most of the places accessible with > a > > 2wd Westy? > > Yes, excellent weather. High 70s perhaps. As far as 2WD accessibility, > I don't have enough experience at Anza Borrego to give a good answer. > Others here can probably chime in. I have been there previously in my > Carat a few years ago and there was plenty available for me to > explore. On this last trip in my Syncro, of the four or so dirt roads > I drove, maybe two were 2WD-friendly. Many of the roads are along > sandy washes, and depending on conditions may or may not be suitable > for 2WD. But there are hundreds of miles of back roads, so my guess is > that there are a lot of suitable options. Hope you like it!

Our 2WD has been in quite a few places where it really shouldn't go, and we've only been stuck twice. However, being stuck with no trees around presents a bit of a problem, so I'd have to be more careful. Since swapping to a TD, I've more cautious with that big oil pan hanging down, which somehow seems more vulnerable than the WBX.

We certainly enjoyed what we saw of the SoCal native plants on our recent 2 week trip to LA & San Diego areas, although we didn't venture more than an hour in from the coast.

Thanks for the info!