Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:05:05 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Transmission MainShaft Needle Bearing Noise
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

This is one of those awkward things - that bearing is buried and it's not easy to diagnose - only experience in connecting the noise and exposure of the failed bearing gives any real credence in a diagnosis. I cannot tell you how long you have - but just not long ago I had a flywheel seal failure and had to pull the tranny. The bearing is not that expensive, so I replaced it at the same time I did the seal. A couple of things to watch out for though. When the bearing goes back in, the bearing needs to be lubricated with grease, then there is a felt washer that goes in to hold the grease in and the dirt out. And here is the tricky part - there is a brass or bronze bushing that is inserted into the flywheel that holds the felt in place. Without that bushing, the grease is eventually lost, and dirt works it's way in, and the felt begins to disintegrate, speeding the ear and tear on the bearing resulting in premature bearing failure. What usually happens is when the clutch is changed, the flywheel gets set to the machine shop and the machinist typically punches out the bushing so the fly wheel can be mounted on the lathe, and it never gets put back in. There are a lot of Vanagons out there without that bushing - premature bearing failures waiting to happen. So - something to watch out for.

Wish I could tell you more about the bearing itself - but canot - it's a diagnostic and maintenance choice item.

Good luck,

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

neil n wrote: > Hi all. > > A Vanagon mechanic listened to the growling noise in my newly > installed transmission. It's audible under load in 1/2, but not 3/4, > likely due to louder ambient noise at higher speeds. (or ingrown ear > hairs. <grin>) Noise is a little quieter than engine. > > Mechanic said "input shaft bearing" and kindly pointed out the part on > an open WBX transmission. My Long Enterprises CD calls this part > "mainshaft needle bearing". Bentley calls it "needle bearing" and > shows it on mainshaft. (35.20 and 35.49... just for clarifications > sake) Seems to me the worn bearing is allowing some other part(s) to > actually make the noise. > > I understand pulling transmission sooner than later is best but..... > > If someone else has had this noise and/or diagnosis, how many miles > did they drive it like that? > > Would this noise indicate a failed needle bearing? > > Running Redline MT synthetic if that figures in. > > Much thanks, > > Neil. > > > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > > >