Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2010 06:52:52 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GPS Recommendation
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>wrote:

> dear this little light of mine > i love oil lamps ... but they do hiss ...and loudly > the light is just under 25 watts according to some source i cant recall to > verify > ...grew up with oil lamps as regular source of light when the power went > out .. > and one winter when i shut most of the house up to conserve heat .. be less > lonely and use less of the house > have not had a need to use coal oil lamps for 20 years .. > but do use coal oil almost every other week ... T-Gel is 2% coal oil :) > ... i would imagine coal oil lamps let you have suitable darkness to search > the skys > yours > > On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hey Roger, you been hanging out around my rig? I started using an oil > lamp > > at night in camp, love it. Provides a nice, warm light for either the > > stereo or while playing a DVD or 'Surfin the Net' via satellite..... > > > >

Loren may be talking of a kerosene lantern. An excellent source of light and some heat in VW campers. I used one in my old Hippy splittie as my main souce of light. They do provide a nice warm-toned light and are silent. I like "lamp-oil" rather than kerosene which can be a bit stinky. Only real downside it they must be stored upright or they'll leak oil all over.

Don Hanson