Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:44:47 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Timing/Distributer question
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

Bryan, Yes you want your timing to be around 10 degrees advanced (before top dead center) for good power. The 1.9l engines were actually retarded for emissions reasons to about 4 deg ATDC. The later 2.1l engines were supposed to be set at around 7 BTDC. I have found both types of engine to run great at 10 degrees and no long term problems or negative effects. It does have the positive effect of having more power (which all Vanagons need). You need to bypass the idle stabilizer on the 1.9l to set the timing and idle properly. I use a light with a dial on it that I can set to the timing I want and then just shoot it at the TDC mark on the crank pulley, turn the distributor until it lines up with the case halves and you are done. On the 2.1l Vanagons you don't have to do anything except let the van warm up a bit before setting the timing. Ignore the Bentley instruction about unplugging the Temp II sender. If you read the instructions carefully they are if you have a special timing tool that VW dealers had back in the 80s but no one has today. Leave the temp II plugged in, time it to 10 degrees BTDC, adjust your idle as needed to around 900-950 rpm, and you are good to go.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

B Feddish wrote: > Way back when I was having my "running like crap" saga with my old engine I > had taken it to one shop that found some ground issues but they also set my > timing , etc. to factory specs. The van was unbearably sluggish when I got > it back. Finally, after lots of items with my last mechanic he finally > pulled the vacuum line to the front of the distributer, stuck and screw in > the hose to block it then set the timing 10 degrees advanced. The van ran > like it had Zetec in it. (OK, an exaggeration.) It ran fantastic, plenty of > power and gas mileage was ridiculously high, 18-19 city and 23 highway in an > '83 Westy. > > > > OK, I get my van back from the guy who put the new engine in. He tells me > that my mechanic had the wrong hose in the rear vacuum connector of the > distributor but I did notice the other hose still laying there with a screw > in it. I'm sure the mechanic set the timing to spec. Anyway, the van has > smooth power throughout the entire band but is really sluggish. Nowhere near > the power of my low compression leaky old motor. Here is a picture of my > current distributer: > > > > http://www.feddishbasses.com/vw/dist.html > > > > I'd like to get this engine running with a little more power. What is the > opinion of the list? Should I re-connect the vacuum hose? Can I advance > the timing safely to get more power? If so, how much is safe without harming > the engine? > > > > Thanks, > > Bryan > >