Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:18:13 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission MainShaft Needle Bearing Noise
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. > > A Vanagon mechanic listened to the growling noise in my newly > installed transmission. It's audible under load in 1/2, but not 3/4, > likely due to louder ambient noise at higher speeds. (or ingrown ear > hairs. <grin>) Noise is a little quieter than engine. > > Mechanic said "input shaft bearing" and kindly pointed out the part on > an open WBX transmission. My Long Enterprises CD calls this part > "mainshaft needle bearing". Bentley calls it "needle bearing" and > shows it on mainshaft. (35.20 and 35.49... just for clarifications > sake) Seems to me the worn bearing is allowing some other part(s) to > actually make the noise. > > I understand pulling transmission sooner than later is best but..... > > If someone else has had this noise and/or diagnosis, how many miles > did they drive it like that? > > Would this noise indicate a failed needle bearing? > > Running Redline MT synthetic if that figures in. > > Much thanks, > > Neil. > > > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >

I don't know a lot about transmissions other than having destroyed 3 in my racecar and figuring out how to run an external cooler into one...but I do know about the '...understand pulling it sooner rather than later...' In fact, I've been 'bit' by putting off a repair I knew I "should" do. I feel really dumb when I knew something was wrong, or I was 'pretty sure' something needed to be fixed soon and I put it off until something really expensive or possibly fatal happened.

I have lost bicycle races because of similar procrastination ...."well, maybe my chain is a bit worn but it'll go a few more weeks" and off I go, driving far and long to race in another state and ride my guts out up some stupid mountain. I put most of my competitors behind. Then 300 meters from the finish as I start to sprint, the chain breaks!....I spent about 8hrs driving home from Idaho, kicking myself for 'Not Listening' to my inner voice saying...."you should really change that chain, it's only $50 and about 10mins work" Instead, I waste 3 days and countless weeks of training...,

So if you think your bearings are out or almost out, or even 'could be on the way out" and you have to ask..."Should I really ......?" the answer is probably Yes, go ahead and do it and save yourself some money and a possible remote breakdown or other bad stuff...

Don Hanson