Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:58:20 -0400
From:         Tom Stone <tstone8359@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: [VANAGON] HIJACKED!!!!

Since I am finished reading my copy, I'll be happy to share it with others who want to read it. First come, first served.

Tom

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Stone <tstone8359@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, Mar 29, 2010 7:41 pm Subject: Re: [VANAGON] HIJACKED!!!!

The Middle Finger of God.

Tom

-----Original Message----- From: Zolly <zolo@foxinternet.net> To: Tom Stone <tstone8359@AOL.COM> Sent: Mon, Mar 29, 2010 1:19 pm Subject: Re: Re: HIJACKED!!!!

And the title is ...? Zoltan ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Stone" <tstone8359@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 8:29 AM Subject: Re: HIJACKED!!!! We have been to Mexico a number of times and generally felt safe and secure. We have only had one bad experience in Ciudad Juarez, which was to be expected. However, a lot has changed since our last trip. I just finished the book Don noted below. Reading it has changed my ideas about returning to Mexico anytime soon. While the book's content is focused on the Sierra Madre area, it does give some good general insights into the Mexican psyche which don't become apparent in casual settings but are apparently becoming more pronounced as the drug war increases the stress on people and institutions. Richard Grant wrote the book. Tom -----Original Message----- From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, Mar 29, 2010 10:37 am Subject: Re: [VANAGON] HIJACKED!!!! "One must try to understand the culture..the essential Macho mindset that comes with mainland Mexicans. An insightful book about the Sierra Madre region of the mainland and the way life is there is called "The Middle Finger of God" Written by an 'adventure traveler' who's idea was to traverse the Sierra Madre mountain region of NW mainland Mexico, he 'catches' the essence of the culture there quite well, in that recently -written book." --------------------------------------------------------------------------------