Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:12:31 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Some thoughts on the Vgon auto tranny; was: RE:
              .................... and vanagons (friday post with little
              Vanagon)

--snip-- never seen anyone who understands what a tach is for who is watching it for better gas --snip--

I drive an auto because:

1. It was what was in the van. 2. My wife is stick-challenged. 3. My knees and left ankle are shot.

I learned to drive on a tractor and I actually would prefer a stick, or I'd at least like to have a Syncro. I'd teach the wife (and kids, eventually) and I'd probably stick to the auto for in-town stuff.

I dunno about watching the tach for mileage, but I've found that on the highway I tend to drive by the tach instead of the speedo- sometimes I look at it just because I'm curious. I just sort of keep it at 4K regardless unless I have to slow down. Around here that translates to ~45 in second up certain hills, or between ~50 and 70 the rest of the time.

People keep saying the auto trannies are bullet-proof. The one I just rebuilt died at somewhere around 250K according to the OP records, and I believe it had been rebuilt before. The second one I killed (haven't rebuilt it yet) died at around 120K, iirc, but I think that was due in part to being overheated in an incident that melted parts of the engine it was attached to, among other things (this was before I owned it).

My thinking is that if you cared for them properly and put an external cooler and filter on them they'd go for a long, long time; probably well over the 250 I got out of the first one.

I think the next failure point I see in mine is that the separation plates in the valve bodies are getting badly worn by the balls in there. Ken at German Transaxle told me they have a process for reconditioning the plate, and they have a reconditioned valve body for under $200 shipped with core. After that's done they should be good for a few more rebuilds, as most of the hard parts and the cases have little to no visible wear.

Cya, Robert