Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:03:04 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: propane leaking on 82 aircooled
Comments: To: Aimee MacLeod <emeraldcityrealty@GMAIL.COM>

---- Aimee MacLeod <emeraldcityrealty@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Ok, so half the time I can't follow what you guys are all talking about but > I sure have learned alot so far from what I do get on this chat line and I > really appreciate your insight. > > Another question I hope you can help with for my 82 aircooled ( I actually > think the engine is a rebuild from an 83.5). Thanks in advance. > > I got the propane filled for the first time the other day, a full > 2.5gallons...so I assume it was on empty. Started up the stove, works > great. So now, it smells like there is a leak outside the van. No smells > inside, thank goodness, but I guess it must be leaking out slowly. I turned > it off but still getting the smell. Is this fixable or does it indicate I > need new tank?? > > -- > Best regards, > > Aimee in Oly

It indicates you need something, not necessarily (but maybe) a new tank. First, I'd check all plumbing with soap. Leaks will show up as bubbles. If you are not smelling the odorant inside the van, the plumbing in the cabinetry is probably ok, but it should be checked anyway, and should be checked periodically. The regulator, fill valve, valve at the tank that pressurizes the stove plumbing, all tubing and connections need to have soapy water swabbed over them to check for leaks. You can do the leak check yourself, but you should take the van to a professional for repairs unless you are confident of being able to make them yourself.

Some propane vendors may make repairs. RV shops will do so also. Depending on where you are, there may be mechanics who work on vanagons.

David McNeely