Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:04:44 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replace propane tank or components?
Comments: To: Scott Chapman <scott_list@MISCHKO.COM>

At 01:03 PM 4/2/2010, Scott Chapman wrote: >Does a Marshall 290 have a proper, new style, full indicator?

That's the regulator, it knows nought about what's in the tank.

>I think I saw a page somewhere saying the original tank's full indicator >is not according to modern spec or some other aspect of the tank >(besides the fill connection itself) was not up to modern spec.

There is no float-based Overfill Preventatatation Device in the original tanks. They have a threaded hole at the 80% capacity mark which either connects to a manual bleed valve (to be opened while fueling) or to the famously cranky AutoStop valve (whose vent valve also must be opened while fueling).

In the first case, when liquid sprays from the vent valve the attendant stops filling. In the second case when liquid sprays from the vent valve, the main valve -- if it's working right -- shuts off against the incoming flow.

OPDs are now required in BBQ tanks, but to the absolute best of my knowledge there's no such requirement for ASME-rated tanks.

Yrs, D