Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:28:17 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adding Freon
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

R-12 has not been manufactured in this country since 1996. Any available is either from stockpiles, recycled, or bootleg. The Vanagon AC adapts fairly well to the R-134A except for a performance loss at idle. The higher head pressure does tend to cause the fan to go into high speed more often. The real trick is to fill by volume and use ~10% less than the R-12 requirement.

While there is little to no control over individual use, in most areas, shops using R-12 need to have certified technicians and the proper recovery equipment. Few shops will have the equipment for both R-12 and R134A.

Dennis