Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2010 16:44:06 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: More timing confusion
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

I just had this thought.. got the right crankshaft pulley ?

they are different from 1.9 to 2.1. Both pulleys have marks on two different places. on the 2.1 when you look at them standing at the rear of the van, the forward 'away from you' notch is further to the right than on the 1.9.

on the 1.9 it's the other way around, the further away one is to the left. Just make sure you got the right pulley with the right marks is all I'm saying.

'timing' per se....this way or that shouldn't make THAT much difference. yes, peppier when it's more advanced than stock. and lazy if a 1.9 is at 5 after tdc ... but, 'more of less' if all yes is good ........like say four nice injector spray patterns ... plus correct mixture etc. etc. ..and a proper Timing Curve with the 1.9 distributor , it should run pretty nicely with fairly stock timing. I don't find it necessary to advance them much over stock to have a 1.9 wbxr that runs really nicely. some of them just rip, like wind out really nicely and quickly.. Seen that on some manual trans 84's. My personal 85 Adventurewagon running a 2.1 on 1.9 ignition and fuel injection just goes really well, and timing isn't especially more advanced than stock. And I don't think it runs better from being a 2.1 ...some 1.9's really rip, Or they can, that's for sure.

You might check that it advances correctly. I don't think I've seen that the centrifugal mechanism has been checked or lubed... or that vacuum advance has been checked for function. It's always nice to have more than one distributor to play with or try, too.

I would always start with the basics, like engine compression. and ..I find I have to check about 25 separate things sometimes on a waterboxer to make sure 'it's all correct.' All of it, exhaust system, cat, fuel pressure, injectors, etc etc. etc. I also think Digiget even runs a tad livelier than Digifant does.........so a 1.9 should be able to run fairly lively, sportingly even. Power fads out starting at about 4,000 rpm ...but that's how they are characteristically .....pretty flat power curve, but one should still run right through the rpm band really well in the lower gears. Plus start instantly, and idle well. I like 'em actually - for 'what they are.'

what fun ! Scott www.turbovavans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "B Feddish" <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 1:56 PM Subject: Re: More timing confusion