Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:57:22 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator has a leak and green fluid's coming out
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

fwiw, I guess I've never lived where the water was hard. ( California, Oregon, and some Washington State mostly ) .. cause I have always used tap water......city tap water, with a good quality anti-frz, in hundreds and hundreds of cars, with no problems ever.

I also add a spoonful or two of Mahinist's Oil....water souble cutting oil... makes a great water pump lube and rust inhibitor . Been doing that 20 years. I hightly beleive in it. I h ave never seen any corrosion in any cooling system that I've put together, or serviced and maintained using this method.

I put Dexcool in one car. And have never bothered again. Never saw that it was any better than a good quality ( that means Prestone Exteneded Life to me ) anti-frz in a proper mixture.

and besides...... 'what' you put in it, as long as it's pretty decent, is not as important as how you take care of it ... that it runs up to temp, that you change coolant regularily etc.

'sometimes' I'll add BarsLeak, but not normally. That's the only leak-stop treatment I ever use, and that's more for a general treatment than for patching up a real leak. And I sure wouldn't over-treat.. I've seen the bottom inch of a waterboxer water jacket be solid 'BarsLeak brown mud' - defenitely over-treated, but it got the van here. ( hmmm...I wonder if that's why that particular 2.1 waterboxer engine has a funny sound in it, even with new heads and end-play on the crank adjusted ...sounds like a playing card in a bycycle wheel sort of )

aloha ! Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:20 PM Subject: Re: Radiator has a leak and green fluid's coming out