Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 2010 15:56:30 +0300
From:         Janne Ruohomäki <janne.ruohomaki@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Archive not. Re: Radiator flush
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@charter.net>

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Mike <mbucchino@charter.net> wrote: > I don't see why you don't just take it out and send it to a radiator shop. > That's what they do. It's not expensive, and they'll repair any holes that > this process can uncover,  and then pressure test for leaks. > Some things are best left to the professionals, and this is one of them.

I would think twice before sending very old aluminum radiator to radiator shop. I have no idea what do they charge but new aluminum radiators are not that expensive. Copper radiator, maybe. My previous cars have had copper ones. My van has aluminum. I dont know if mine is original or not. Van is ~20 years old, but the radiator is in amazingly good shape. PO said that there has never been any leaks anywhere and actually generally forgot to check for water levels because it did not change.

Copper is more prone to pinhole leaks than aluminum. Aluminum tends to weaken from bigger areas. So after repairing, copper radiator would probably have longer life expectancy than aluminum one. This is not to say aluminum radiator cannot have just small pinhole leak being thick from elsewhere.

A lot probably depends on the general condition of the radiator. Maybe get a new one and fix the old one for spare part, presuming You really are going to keep Your van for a long time. (Dont we all ?)