Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:26:39 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Cross-shaft Question
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

I never even had noticed how those arms are welded only partially to the cross shaft until I heard about the 'full welded' version. I've never seen one break. of the various parts that wear or fail in the clutch release mechanism, that's not one of the failure points that I've seen.

If those arms aren't bent ...... and no cracks or anything , I think I'd leave just as is, as opposed to welding on it more.

silly me, I didn't even think of 'clutch operating lever' for 'COL.'

I call it the Throw Out Lever, since it operates the throw out bearing. I think I would have built it with a split and pinch bolt .. so rather than a 'perfect slide fit' ...the lever would clamped firmly to the cross shaft, and when the pinch bolt was removed there'd be some play, to help it slide off.

sounds like you're having good vanagon fun ! Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:23 PM Subject: Re: Clutch Cross-shaft Question

Hey Scott.

Yah sorry. The lever that clutch slave cylinder pushes down. I saw COL (clutch operating lever) in the archives so thought it a common Vanagon term.

Re: stuck levers. My first "big" job was rebuilding the clutch housing. That lever was STUCK. This time I got lucky. One easily removed was enough. But two? <grin> They pulled off like butter. I was really surprised.

Re: welds. Yah I was surprised. I thought to add welds with my 110 AC MIG, but metal is thick. The weld would likely only be superficial at best. Maybe not. It should penetrate *some*. I guess VW figured that since arms only push out the throw out bearing, they only need a weld at, uh, the top of each arm.

Likely it's fine. I wasn't beating it to death to get the arm/bushings out. But they were tight. I thought I was going to destroy the plastic bushing.

Neil.

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > notice how puny the welds that join the forks to the shaft are. > > there's a re-welded version with full welds. > I haven't seen any of the stock welds fail, but they do look rather > 'partial' the way VW built it. > > don't know what a COL is ... > nothing fitting that pops to mind. > Talkin' about getting the lever off the end of the shaft ??? > > I have seen that lever absolutely WELDED ...as in solidly fused from > corrosion, to the crossshaft. > Nothing short of cutting it off with a torch would get that throw-out > lever > off the crossshaft. > > scott > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:29 PM > Subject: Clutch Cross-shaft Question > > >> Hi all. >> >> Lucky me, got two different clutch cross shafts out. Will use best >> parts of each. >> >> One cross shaft measures and looks better at outer end. No marks on >> forks. It's better. But.... >> >> I used an open end wrench and judicious hammer blows to knock the >> "better" cross shaft out. I didn't bend the fork but am curious if >> bangin on it might have weakened it. >> >> Risky to use? Welds still look ok. Just minor scratches from wrench. >> >> btw. I'm sure the pro's and hold hands have better ways, but on 2 old >> crusty COL's, found a good way to remove them, transmission OUT of >> Vanagon. The shaft has to be partway out to do this. >> >> Small Pittman arm puller with 22mm open end wrench as backing slipped >> over exposed part of shaft. (my Pittman arm too small). Drill a divot >> OC for Pittman arm point and off ya go. And entire installed clutch >> slave bracket made for a nice wrench brace. >> >> >> Thanks, >> >> Neil. >> >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > >