Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:07:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Cross Shaft Arm Wear. Abnormal? PICS
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

hopefully. what do you mean by 'catch' going from gear to gear ?

crunch ? or sort of hang up ?

If the clutch disengages cleanly, like van does not start to move in gear until clutch pedal is say, 2 1/2 inches off the floor ... that tends to indicated complete and full clutch disengagement .. and if that's the case , then any crunching would be more like a worn syncro issue.

I also find draggy/dry/worn shift linkage on vanagons a lot. Like people are driving them that way, and since they don't drive other vanagons with smooth well lubed and adjusted linkage , they don't even realize how draggy/dry their linkage is..... not that that applies to anyone on this list of course !

For minor gear shift crunching ....I have improved or reduced that with Prolong Transmission Oil Additive. I like that stuff added to Redline MT-90. I'm amazed at how well grease seems to stick on surfaces and lube them for a long time. I use a really good synthetic grease in the pilot bearing .. like I have some Redline red grease - I use that on the pilot brg. but for sliding surfaces in the clutch mechanism I use 'black slimey' molygraph grease.

for the cross shaft bushings...a really good synthetic penetrating spray grease. Until the shaft just flops around practically ...it's so well lubed.

same for the clutch pedal pivot and clevis ..spray up in there. it's bare metal to metal on the clevis pin in the clutch pedal - very cheap construction for sure, especially since you can barely get to it to lube it , and they do wear out there - mostly on syncro vanagons though.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 1:41 PM Subject: Re: Clutch Cross Shaft Arm Wear. Abnormal? PICS