Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:42:31 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop-Top Lift Assist
Comments: To: Geo <ahwahneevw@gmail.com>

Yes, those are just bolts that screw into stationary nuts. Be sure to follow the directions when it comes to the order that you undo the forward 2 bolts as just removing them completely puts too much stress on the bracket and rear bolt and can bend it. Measure 3 times and drill once for the holes in the sides of the fiber glass top where the upper shock end bracket attaches. Pop tops can/most do twist slightly so the same X" (I think it's 17+" or so) on one side can end up being at a different location on the fiber glass on the other side. There is some room for error on those pop top drilled holes as the outer flat washers are quite large and can cover up a hole that's too big. I put clear silicone sealer in that joint to keep out water and act as a sort of glue. The regular strength/pressure unit is plenty strong for my uses ... I don't have anything on top so it almost raises itself and is just stiff enough coming down to allow you to tuck the canvas in without holding up the top with the top of your head. bob