Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Apr 2010 23:02:30 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 Westy -- Shock Questions
Comments: To: Jack Reynaert <jack007@comcast.net>

Ride height is only one part of it. And ride height can really vary if the suspension is not "settled" properly. I laugh when I see so called suspension experts and alignment guys lift up a vehicle then just plop it on the alignment rack and start making adjustments. Who knows exactly where that suspension is in it's range of motion? You must drive around a little before measuring anything to do with alignment. What is also important is the Corner Balance...Think of your van as a table with the wheels being the legs. It's possible to have two of the legs a little long and still have a level table...but the other two are not carrying any of the load and the table is easy to "rock"......In a van it is possible to have things out of whack and have very little weight on one or two wheels..."Corner Balance"..it makes for strange behavior and if the driver has an 'educated seat of the pants' it is noticeable. Just as when you cut off one leg on a tippy table, it affects all 3 of the other leg's relative load... One way to visualize the concept is to take a couple of pencils and cross them at right angles, holding them in your hand parallel to the ground. Now, roll your hand around a little and watch the 4 ends of those pencils...That is exactly how your vehicle's wheels work... My 84 needed almost 1/2" of shimming on the right rear to get close to corner balanced (as close as I needed in a 5000# camping utility van anyhow) Getting the corner weight properly adjusted really helped my traction. When you measure that stuff, you need to have the van configured like it will be driven....driver's equivalent weight in the seat, tank with proper fuel load, your normal load aboard the van.. Don Hanson