Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Mar 2010 23:59:57 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timing/Distributer question
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

That port is for the vacuum "retard" chamber. It gets connected to full manifold vacuum. There is a port near the throttle but sometimes this does not work if the throttle bushings are worn. Tee it with the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator.

This port has some real specific and important functions.

For starters this port is needed to fully retard the timing at idle. Without it working, setting the timing near spec will cause insufficient advance when needed. Vacuum retard is used to reduce advance during part load operation. The goal is to reduce peak flame temps to reduce NOx emissions, pre-ignition and melted pistons.

When properly set up and working, the timing will advance very quickly as soon as the throttle is opened, even slightly. The port on the other side of the vacuum chamber goes to the port on the throttle body above the throttle plate. That will add to the advance as the throttle opens.

It may seem like a good idea to advance the timing past specifications. No problem for a few degrees but 10 BTD can be dangerous. First will be the increased production OF NOx for the Catalyst to deal with. This can also be a problem for dyno emissions tests. Next, while this does improve throttle response and make the engine feel more powerful, it does not help much at full throttle and will increase the chance of pre-ignition. On the water boxer you do not always hear the "Ping" when it happens. Especially at speed with the AC on. You may be OK for years but at some point on that long trip going up that hill with the pedal mashed here comes those melted pistons. One of the reasons this engine is de-tuned is so that it can be pushed when needed.

Dennis