Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:11:47 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: more VC obsession
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Hi,

oh I agree about the fill quantity affecting agressiveness of coupling.

but don't you wonder how overall pressure increase affects the plate to plate contact in hump?

I mean, each side of the plate is exposed to the same pressure increase, why would the plates move closer unless there is a differential pressure? i believe, as illustrated by the diagrams i just posted, that it is localised pressure differences that initiate hump.

Back to fill quantity. The air left in the housing will not be one "bubble" at the top, but it will dispersed throughout as tiny wee bubbles. This, i believe, is the key. The amount of air left in the vc will determine the amount of tiny wee bubbles throughout the vc. Then you can see how localised pressure differences between plates can be moderated by the air bubbles right in that region. (geez, not comfortable with the term bubbles, its more like a air in silicone emulsion, and emulsion is not the right term either).

The more i read, the more I believe that the hump condition is *the* torque transfer mechanism when the vc being called upon.

One more thing,I like this discussion but sometimes it is hard to convey ideas and concepts through email.

Alistair