Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:00:40 -0700
From:         Matthew Snook <matt@GREENBEARD.US>
Subject:      fuel leak - or not...
Comments: To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

With all the recent talk of fuel leaks, again, I thought I'd repost a previous question of mine to see if anybody had any thoughts on the matter.

I have an '84 1.9 Westy, and here's the problem. Occasionally when I first start the thing, there is a drip of gasoline from either side of the engine! Sometimes right, sometimes left. Most of the time there is no leak. But maybe half a dozen times over the last year, I've started it and then noticed a drip from the splash pans that prevent me from seeing up into the engine, so I don't know where it's coming from. At first I immediately turned it off, unloaded the paraphernalia and lifted the engine hatch, then restarted it only to have the dripping not reappear. Since then I've also tried just leaving it on, but in this case it has still stopped the leak by the time I've gotten the lid off to look at it from the top.

So the leak only happens, or I only notice it, when the thing is first started. It has dripped from either or both sides. It stops if the engine is stopped and then restarted, or within a couple of minutes if left running (while I try to get the lid off).

This is not a leak at the hose where it comes through the wall - I've looked at that each time, and besides the drips come from both sides.

Any clues? It doesn't happen often enough for me to just start the thing over and over - only once every few months.

Matt