Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:31:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: cheap diesel singlecab on samba..in calif
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Any Sngle Cab/ double cab Vanagon truck has the potential to be worth big bucks.

sure, it'll need a much better engine ...but that's no big deal. ALL vanagons need a better engine almost.

you know....if you saw a nice Single Cab pick-up on thesamba ... and it was really decent, no rust, perfect paint and body .....fully sorted out and roadworthy in every way .. like just 'nothing to apolgize for' . like near showroom condition ... $ 20K wouldn't be horribly out of line. So at 4K or so .....as long as it's not badly rusted or crashed ....that's a fair deal.

one way or aother is is registerable. Might depend on what state or various hoops to jump through, but if someone wants to badly enough, they can get it titled and registered.

re And a normal diesel engine in a Vanagon > truck? Wouldn't that be a really dangerous vehicle on public roads'

where have you been Don ? stock 48 hp 1.6 NA diesel vanagons are a hazzard outside of town bascially, in our driving envirnoment. Although many people get by ......and vanagon gods bless 'em and protect them until they get some more power and better gearing.

That's 'how they are.' and it's a darn good thing VW made all these fun vehicles for us to play with. Why heck... if they lasted like volvo's ( old ones ) or Fords, or even Chryslers with slant sixes, we wouldn't all be playing together like this. If they 'just worked' for decades, we wouldn't all know each other helping each other out with our fun vans.

and VW engines .....face it .....some of them are good for maybe 7 years in a vanagon before needing real engine work. I could even move toward doing mainly inline 4 gasoline ones ... though I think the 100 hp RV code 8 valve 1.8 is still marginal for power in a vanagon ... but darn durable. Super durable. I wish all VW engines were basicly that reliable and durable, and cost-effective to get, to install, and own and operate. I would expect basically zero problems with that engine. Wish it had a bit more beans though. and one of these days I'll get my 16 valve 1.8 running.. and in 93 there is a 2.0 liter version of that engine. Gonna convert one from CIS-E fuel injection to Digifant too I hope.

Has anyone ever heard of a Euerovan 2.5 inline five engine in a vanagon ? I know there are Audi inline 5's done ......don't know how related that is to a 93 EV 2.5 inline 5 though. Might be a bit long lenth-wise .....but those are durable engines I beleive.

One thing I really like in an engine is sheer durability , like no matter what ....it keeps running, and never blows up. Like you almost 'can't' burn a valve, blow a headgasket, or throw a rod, ( or wear out a turbo ) . The search for 'the perfect' vanagon engine continues .. and sorry, I don't think TDI is it. LOL. :-) 'Sorry' I'm just in a good/happy mood today -partially due to Hawaiin/Aloha/hula energy ...which I posted about on the end of a 'noisy fuel pump' thread email.

hey..it's friday !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 10:37 AM Subject: Re: cheap diesel singlecab on samba..in calif