Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:58:25 -0500
From:         Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: DK into diesel,
              WAS:Trans. Upgrade: Secure Front Shift Rod Bushing?

thanks Mark - this was very helpful. The tranny/engine was suspended by hoist when installed. I thought there should be some slotted holes in the carrier bar mounts (where they mount to the body) but there are not on his. Maybe some PO has swapped them out. These could be taken to a machine shop, or drilled at home, to solve this problem.

I'm headed over there shortly to work on it a little more. After we get it all back on the ground we'll see how it looks.

Alan

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:44 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote:

> The aircooled tranny (DK) has the same mounting dimensions as the diesel 4 > speed (DM,DZ). Really, they are the same tranny, just different teeth count > on the R&P as well as thicker ribbed wall on the outside of the main case > for the DK. I have put the DK in about 10 different 1982 diesels. > > Did you hang the engine/tranny while installing it or did you support it > from below with a jack? Works better to hang it from above to let you line > things up and get all the bolts in loosely first. There is adjustment built > into the left side carrier bar end frame mounts too, so leave the bolts on > those slotted holes loose until last or you may put a lot of extra tension > on the rubber mounts. > > The custom left side mount can raise that side of the engine since they are > meant to help the turbo clear the rubber mount on that side. > > Mark > > > Alan Felder wrote: > >> Hi Guys - >> >> Not meaning to step on this thread in any way - lots of good alt.medicine >> info here also - but yous guys would obviously be the best to ask about >> this >> considering the topic of this thread: >> >> I am helping a friend install an AHU in his 82d westy. Swapped tranny for >> an air cooled (DK?) and re-mounted orig bell housing. He purchased and >> installed the port side replacement engine mount to clear below the stock >> turbo. I believe he used the DK nose mount on the tranny. >> >> Engine/Tranny is now installed. Seems to me to sit about an inch higher >> than it should. Also we had to stretch that nose mount maybe 3/8 inch to >> get it to bolt in. >> >> any thoughts on this? I don't see a way to lower the engine, is there an >> adjustment for that?. Also, should we unbolt the nose mount and turn the >> mount plate around on this kind of swap? >> >> We have the rear end up on jack stands, but will lower this weekend I >> think, >> to see if that changes any geometry on us. >> >> I humbly await your input. >> >> Alan Felder >> >>

-- Alan Felder Austin TX 82 Diesel Westy