Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:17:52 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing Propane tank - how to cut and flange tubes?

The plumbing can be had at a home store, it is a US size as are all the fittings on any camper products sold in the US, I'm told.

I have used a harbor freight flare tool with excellent success. It comes with a set of mandrels that go in the tube and keep it from collapsing and makes the end flare to a standard size and shape. It's so easy I've never had to do one over as far as I can remember. You can roll it out straight on a table and then use either the spring type or the pliers type of bender to get any shape used on a westy. I have also used it to assemble the rather complex installation of a permanently mounted heater that branches off from the regulated side of the fridge/stove plumbing and crosses over to the sliding door side.

If you need any help with the operation, just go buy one and email me. I will get mine out and walk you through it.

It's very easy.

Jim

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 12:44 PM 4/9/2010, Scott Chapman wrote: >> >> I read that the copper pipes to the propane tank are 8mm? >> >> In that case, I'm wondering if one of these would be any use in flaring >> the pipe after I cut off a couple inches to make it work with the new >> regulator on the new tank? > > Dear Scott, > For cutting the tool of choice would be a tubing cutter, likely a > midget one for close-quarters use.  You roll it around the tube while > gradually advancing a hard thin swaging disk into the tube, which > soon parts off leaving a large burr on the inside to be reamed out. > > 8 mm is very close to 5/16 inch.  Since this is a US tank with a US > regulator and US refrigerator (and stove?) I would expect the > plumbing to be US standard as well. > > Yours, > David >