Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:10:06 -0700
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Shop in Santa Monica Area?
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

Bela's the man! My NEW (from another mechanic) radiator kept overheating, and the other mechanic kept trying unsuccessfully to fix it. I brought it to Bela, and he diagnosed it right away as a hairline crack in the reservoir cap! He replaced the cap and it never leaked again. At the time he zeroed in on my cracked cap, he also warned me about a new smog requirement in California, and told me that even though it had already passed 18 mos. prior when I bought the van, it wouldn't pass then next smog test, which would be in about 2 or 3 months. I had him take care of that, and it passed right away!

The only thing about Bela is that he's extremely busy, his shop is jam packed with VW vans and cars, and I usually have to leave my Westy for a day or 2, even for minor stuff. He's also in and out for errands or test drives, but his talented mechanics are always there. However, if you need to pick up your vehicle and pay for it, Bela has to be there because his mechanics don't take care of the business end of things. I don't mind any of these minor inconveniences, because I know I won't be back for the same problem. Another thing to know in advance is that parking is a little tough where he has his shop, and in fact, if you don't know the area, it's tricky to get to his shop because of the layout of the streets. (At least it was tricky for me because of the route I chose the first time.)

When you say he's "old school," he does use an answering machine, but he still has an original "dial" phone!

By the way, Greg, where in LA are you from? I'm in North Hollywood - only about 5 miles from Bela's shop. Patti 90 Westy Automatic ************************************* On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>wrote: