Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:24:09 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1987 Westy Fuel Line hoses inside diameters
Comments: To: Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@gmail.com>

DEAR DIAMETRICALLY CHALLENGED

save yourself a world of heart and head ache call up gowesty or vane cafe and get the fuel line replacement kit ... http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_499_286/fuel_line_replacement_kit.html(do not use fuel line adapter ) http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4393&category_id=&category_parent_id=

toss out the plastic bit connecting the two sides at firewall replace with single piece of hose from distribution to canister

two things 1. use clamps at tank to prevent fuel from running while you change out and change that short piece last 2. cover new hose with 5/8 heater hose around engine and through the hole left by removal of plastic firewall nipple (indeed this is not a bad thing to do for full length of hose if you are planning rough service for your machine )

oops maybe 3

3. use the proper clamps and the proper clamp pliers to secure clamps ... there is in excess of 30 pounds of pressure in that line good enough or that will do for now are not phrases that should apply when doing this task (they look like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/206684589/Plier_for_Ear_Clamp/showimage.html)

oops maybe more

4. safety around gasoline is important lights should be covered and preferably break proof no smoking or sparks ... if you have a small dish to catch spilled gasoline store it outside while you work or away from work area

make a stopper for the fuel line in case you have to get parts (i whittled one from a piece of wood so i had both a medical clamp and a stopper so if i was taken away from the task i was not leaving only one leak prevention in place )

no smoking or open flames .. that includes gas fired and some oil fired furnaces ... heaters ... torches and etc etc etc ...

oh yes there is more ... essentially you are doing a plumping job ... measure twice or three times and cut once ... assemble with out clamps and ensure fit before clamping in place ... have lots of zip ties available to hold other parts out of your way while you work ... and to secure newly installed lines after placement

once completed start outside with one other person present to inspect for leaks

it is recommended to measure pressure with proper tester good luck

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners