Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Apr 2010 13:50:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trans. Upgrade: Secure Front Shift Rod Bushing?
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

re "I believe he used the DK nose mount on the tranny."

you use the 82 diesel vanagon front trans mount on the DK, when you replace a DZ with a DK.

no way would you ever have to stretch the front mount 3/8 of an inch. Maybe 1/8 at most ...should line up exactly, as it was with the DZ trans. Be sure you are using the 82 DV front mount ... all of it, bracket and rubber mount part.

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:09 AM Subject: Re: Trans. Upgrade: Secure Front Shift Rod Bushing?

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am helping a friend install an AHU in his 82d westy. Swapped tranny for > an air cooled (DK?) and re-mounted orig bell housing. He purchased and > installed the port side replacement engine mount to clear below the stock > turbo. I believe he used the DK nose mount on the tranny. > > Engine/Tranny is now installed. Seems to me to sit about an inch higher > than it should. Also we had to stretch that nose mount maybe 3/8 inch to > get it to bolt in. > > any thoughts on this? I don't see a way to lower the engine, is there an > adjustment for that?. Also, should we unbolt the nose mount and turn the > mount plate around on this kind of swap? >

Re: 3/8" Flipping the air cooled front mount. Looks nearly impossible to my eye. You would end up clearancing too much metal likely making it weak. Not even sure if mount would fit flipped. I believe both the air cooled and diesel use the same older style transmission

A pice of my air cooled front bracket on left. Look the same?

http://tinyurl.com/yygp363

Is the DV clutch housing shorter than gas housing?

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines