Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:25:15 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1987 Westy engine starter replacement
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>

re Here is a question many ( except me ) do have an answer. What is the > step-by-step procedure for 1987 Westy engine starter removal and > installation?

It's one of the most straight forward starter R & R's in the car world. ( velly smat VW )

Assuming 2WD - Syncro is more complicated.

disconnect battery. remove battery cable and starter trigger wire from starter solenoid. ( 13mm wrench and yer grimmy finners for the trigger wire ) after that it's only the main starte mounting nuts/bolts. the lower nut is a 15 mm . the upper bolt - go into the engine compartment, remove air filter box. - you can fumble around the air intake boot to get at the 17mm hex nut on the upper starter bolt.. or remvoe the boot to help access, and it's still a reach. Sometimes I also remove the throttle body too ( 2 phillips screws and throttle cable ) , but not usually.

you may need to hold the upper starter bolt from turning, at the starter end of it. it's an 8 mm allen. Usually not much force is needed there, so you could cheat with a small vice grip if needed. Then remove the starter.

you'll want to check the bushing in the transaxle that the nose of the starter sits in. Usually they are ok. At least look at it. Hard to get your head up in there, may need a mirror and tiny light. also eyeball the ring gear teeth that the starter engages is ....they are usually OK too...but that's something that sometimes gets tired. They can be medium tired looking and still be good enough. So don't expect totally new looking teeth there . Engine compression causes it to stop in the same 4 spots ...so wear tends to be concentrated on just those teeth.

Bently doesn't really tell you this too much. It's not quite a 'how to' or 'I never saw one of these cars before' book. It's a tech manual for techicians that know basic things to start with.

have fun ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Whittaker" <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:27 PM Subject: Re: 1987 Westy engine starter replacement